Duodenal Switch


The Laparoscopic Duodenal Switch performed at the Nicholson Clinic is the most recent procedure to be endorsed by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. This procedure is also known as the Single Anastomosis Duodeno-Ileal Bypass (SADI) or the Loop Duodenal Switch. It is a simpler and safer option than the traditional Duodenal Switch.

The Duodenal Switch is ideal for people who have severe obesity and is especially effective for patients with Type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome. The procedure modifies your stomach and your small intestine and is both a restrictive procedure (restricting how much food your stomach can hold) and a malabsorptive procedure (reducing the nutrition, calories, and fat your small intestine can absorb from your food). It also has powerful metabolic effects and reduces the hunger hormones that your stomach normally produces.

Here’s How it Works:

First, a sleeve gastrectomy is performed where approximately 75% of the stomach is removed. The remaining stomach – now reduced to about 25% of its original size – is shaped like a banana and resembles a tube or sleeve.

Then the first part of the small intestine is divided just after the stomach. A loop of intestine is measured several feet from its end and is then connected to the end of the stomach.

When the patient eats, food goes through the new stomach pouch and directly into the latter portion of the small intestine so that it bypasses a significant portion of the small bowel, preventing your body from absorbing as much fat and calories. The food then mixes with digestive juices from the first part of the small intestine. This allows enough absorption of vitamins and minerals to maintain healthy levels of nutrition. 

The Benefits of Duodenal Switch:

  1. Very effective for long-term weight loss and type II diabetes.
  2. Better weight loss than the Gastric Bypass or Sleeve Gastrectomy.
  3. Lower risk than the traditional Duodenal Switch.
  4. Low risk of ulceration or intestinal obstruction.
  5. Excellent revision option for sleeve patients who have regained weight.

Disadvantages:

  1. Risk of nutritional deficiencies.
  2. Risk of more frequent bowel movements or diarrhea.
  3. May not be good option for patients with severe acid reflux.
  4. Lack of long-term data as it is a newer procedure.

Loop Duodenal Switch

Duodenal Switch Facts:

  • Up to 85% Excess Weight Loss
  • Portion Control
  • Appetite Suppression
  • Reduced Caloric Consumption
  • Cures 95% of Type 2 Diabetes
  • Laparoscopic
  • Most Home the Next Day
Schedule Appointment
Watch A Free Seminar
Watch Free Online Seminar
Are you a candidate?
Candidate Quiz
Have Insurance?
Check My Insurance
Schedule Appointment
New Patient Appointment Existing Patient Appointment