Dr. Nick Nicholson is recognized as a national leader in bariatric surgery.
Dr. Nicholson opened the Nicholson Clinic for Weight Loss Surgery in North Texas more than 20 years ago. Today, the Nicholson Clinic is the country’s premier destination for weight loss. Dr. Nicholson has helped more than 25,000 patients, coming from all 50 states and 11 countries. But his impact goes beyond his patients and their successful outcomes. His contributions to the field of bariatrics make him one of the most prominent figures in the field.
- Dr. Nicholson has the highest credentials in bariatric surgery and is certified by the American Board of Surgery (ABS) with the Focused Practice Designation (FPD) in Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (MBS).
- One of D Magazine’s “Best Doctors” in Dallas, 2007-2016, 2018, 2020-2023.
- One of D Magazine’s “Best Doctors” in Collin County, 2011-2016, 2018-2023.
- Voted to Living Well Magazine’s “Top Docs” list, named as a winner in both the Top Bariatric Surgeon category and the Top General Surgeon category, 2019-2023.
- Best Bariatric Surgeon by Living Magazine Readers’, 2014-2016, 2018.
- Dr. Nicholson and his team of surgeons were voted Living Magazine’s Best of Three-Eighty North for 2016, 2017, Best of Frisco/Plano for 2020-2023, Best of McKinney/Allen for 2022, Best of Prosper/Celina for 2022 and Best of Richardson/Murphy for 2022-2023.
- Author of Weight Loss Surgery: The Real Skinny and numerous weight loss surgery articles. Currently authoring his third book.
Dr. Nicholson trains doctors from around the world and consults on new products and techniques to improve patient experience and outcomes. As a true expert in the industry, Dr. Nicholson holds two patents on medical devices, is a published author of books and numerous articles and has conducted multiple TV appearances on the subject of weight loss surgery. Recognized by patients, peers and medical experts, he is honored to have played a role in helping so many people overcome obesity and reclaim their health.
Dr. Nicholson leads a team of world-class surgeons and specializes in multiple advanced, minimally invasive bariatric and abdominal surgery procedures including: sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass, LAP-BAND®, gastric balloon and revisional bariatric surgery. In addition to weight loss, his patients have experienced a reversal of type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, arthritis and other weight-related illnesses. Dr. Nicholson and his team also perform gallbladder removal, hiatal hernia repair to cure acid reflux, abdominal wall hernia repair and abdominal wall reconstruction.
Dr. Nicholson is board certified in General Surgery by the American Board of Surgery. He is always on the forefront of the latest technology, expanding his expertise in multiple advanced procedures in the belief that there’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all approach to weight loss surgery.
A native of Texas, Dr. Nicholson began undergraduate studies at UT Austin and pursued his MD at University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston before completing his residency at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Parkland Memorial Hospital, where he first became interested in advanced laparoscopic and weight loss surgery procedures. He now practices bariatric and abdominal surgery in the Dallas–Fort Worth metroplex, and has been featured multiple times as an expert in his field in various television and magazine interviews
Dr. Nicholson is active in several organizations, including:
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- American College of Surgeons – North Texas Chapter
- American Medical Association
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Parkland Surgical Society
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
Dr. Nicholson works with some of the largest medical device companies in the world, including:
- W.L. Gores & Associates: Dr. Nicholson is a proctor for W. L. Gore & Associates (Gore), a global materials science company dedicated to transforming industries and improving lives. As a proctor, Dr. Nicholson trains surgeons from all over the world on surgical techniques using Gore medical products, with the goal of improving patient experience and outcomes. Dr. Nicholson is one of the most experienced surgeons in the world with GORE® SEAMGUARD® Bioabsorbable Staple Line Reinforcement, which reduces leaks and bleeding in minimally invasive surgery (1, 2). In addition to training, Dr. Nicholson consults with Gore on current and future trends in bariatrics and on emerging medical technology to ensure innovative solutions are reliable, durable, effective and safe. Dr. Nicholson is proud to work with Gore to help improve patient care world-wide.
- Ethicon, a Johnson & Johnson Company: Dr. Nick Nicholson is a proctor for Ethicon, a Johnson & Johnson medical device company that has significantly contributed to advancing bariatric surgery and the science and treatment of obesity. Dr. Nicholson has one of the highest volume experiences in bariatric stapling devices in the country, and has helped develop cutting-edge surgical instruments and train other surgeons on surgical technique and safe and effective usage of Ethicon devices.
- Medtronic: Dr. Nick Nicholson collaborates with Medtronic on emerging technology and innovative solutions for bariatric surgery to improve patient care.
- Da Vinci®: Dr. Nicholson works with the most advanced technology available and is currently using robotic-assisted surgery with da Vinci® technology. Dr. Nicholson and his team of surgeons are trained and certified as da Vinci® robot surgeons, using the newest development in robotic surgery, known as the da Vinci Xi, the fourth generation robot. The da Vinci Xi allows surgeons to perform not only general surgery, but also gastric sleeve and gastric bypass surgery without fully opening up the abdomen. This type of surgical procedure reduces patient risk and can improve patient outcomes.
(1) Nguyen NT, Longoria M, Welbourne S, SabioA, Wilson SE. Glycolidecopolymer staple-line reinforcement reduces staple site bleeding during laparoscopic gastric bypass. A prospective randomized trial. Archives of Surgery2005;140(8):773-778. (2) GagnerM, KemmeterP. Comparison of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy leak rates in five staple-line reinforcement options: a systematic review. Surgical Endoscopy2020;34(1):396-407.
GORE and SEAMGUARD are trademarks of W. L. Gore & Associates.
Reviews & Testimonials
Dr. Nick and his staff are fantastic. Having come to the clinic is one of the best decisions I could have made. Dr. Nick, what can I say, other than he is truly the Best in the Metroplex.
Best doctor. Listens to concerns, answers questions, explains options as well as alternative solutions. Does not make you feel self-conscious or shame you. On top of all this he is a damn fine surgeon with a great bedside manner. I would highly recommend him for anyone looking for weight loss surgery.
Meet Dr. Nick Nicholson