Dr. Brian Long joined the Nicholson Clinic in 2015. He specializes in laparoscopic bariatric surgery, performing sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass, adjustable gastric banding and revisional procedures. He also has extensive experience in minimally invasive general surgical procedures including abdominal wall hernia repair, gallbladder surgery, gastric reflux procedures and colon and intestinal surgery.
- Dr. Long has the highest credentials in bariatric surgery and is certified by the American Board of Surgery (ABS) with the Focused Practice Designation (FPD) in Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (MBS).
- Trained and certified as a da Vinci Robot surgeon.
- One of D Magazine’s “Best Doctors” in Dallas, 2023.
- One of D Magazine’s “Best Doctors” in Collin County, 2019-2023.
- Voted to Living Well Magazine’s “Top Docs” list, named as a winner in both the Top Bariatric Surgeon category and the Top General Surgeon category for 2019-2023.
- The Nicholson Clinic team of surgeons were voted Living Magazine’s Best of Three-Eighty North for 2016 & 2017, Best of Frisco/Plano for 2020-2023, Best of McKinney/Allen for 2022, Best of Prosper/Celina for 2022 and Best of Richardson/Murphy for 2022-2023.
Dr. Long came to the Nicholson Clinic from Sibley Memorial Hospital and Johns Hopkins in Washington, DC, where he established and was the Medical Director of the Sibley Center for Weight Loss Surgery. He was also a surgeon with Johns Hopkins Community Physicians Surgery at Foxhall, where he practiced general surgery and advanced laparoscopic surgery.
Dr. Long served as Chief of Bariatric and Minimally Invasive Surgery, as well as the assistant residency program director, at Walter Reed Army Medical Center from 2004-2006. From 2002-2004, he was stationed at Andrews Air Force Base where he practiced general surgery and led a Critical Care Air Transport Team on deployment in the Persian Gulf in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
Dr. Long received his General Surgery Residency training at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, Texas, where he was a two-time recipient of the Resident Teaching Award. He is a 1997 graduate of the Medical College of Georgia and was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society. He received his undergraduate degree in Biomedical Engineering from Duke University.
Dr. Long is board certified in general surgery and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He is a member of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery and the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons. He has been named a Top Doctor numerous times by Washingtonian Magazine and by Washington Consumer Checkbook.
Dr. Long lives in Dallas with his wife and three young children. He enjoys music and playing guitar. He loves sports and is an avid Duke basketball fan.
Reviews & Testimonials
Dr. Brian Long did an amazing job on my sleeve. He is so intelligent and so thorough! Also, very nice and down to earth. My recovery and results have been excellent. I would recommend this group of doctors! Thank you Dr. Long for your excellent care! You made me feel so comfortable when I was so far away from home!
Dr. Long was an amazing doctor who did an amazing job with my bypass. The staff at the clinic made me feel right at home. Thanks for being the support team you promised you would be. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing. Rick you are a heart of joy and smiles. Thank you all for helping me on my life changing journey!
Meet Dr. Brian M. Long