Christmas is right around the corner so for this month’s blog post I really wanted to share some tips for surviving the holidays, easy holiday recipes, and words of encouragement. The holidays can be the best time of the year, or worst for some people. Food shouldn’t make the day more difficult. If this is a day where you want to get off track for a day and get right back to it the next, I have zero judgement for you. On the other hand, if you want ideas on how to make the day a little easier, I’ve got you!
First things first, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Having a protein-rich, balanced breakfast will start the day out on the right foot and get you ready for the day. While cooking, try not to sample everything or snack. Meal prep the day before and get your snacks and dishes picked out so you have less temptation to just grab whatever is in front of you. Don’t feel like you have to scarf down your food just because everyone else is. We eat fast in my family, so I tend to match their pace. I can’t do that anymore after surgery solely because it’s painful, so I have to remind myself to put down the fork between bites, not drink with my meal, and chew well.
Below are a few side dishes, a holiday drink idea, and dessert option. Your protein sources such as ham, turkey, chicken will be naturally lean and high in protein. Just watch out for brown sugar or any high sugar coatings on any meat that can upset the stomach. Remember, protein first, so fill up on your meat first, then vegetables, then carbohydrates. Eat slow and enjoy the company before the food. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season and if you try out any of these recipes, let me know how they turned out!
Low-Fat Green Bean Casserole
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 package sliced mushrooms
- 1 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed and halved
- 1 can fat-free cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup fried onions
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Steam the green beans using either a microwave steamer or a stovetop steamer basket OR bring a pot of water to a boil and boil for 8 minutes, then drain. Set green beans aside.
- In a large dutch oven, spray with cooking spray and added onions. Cook until soft. Add mushrooms and cook a few more minutes.
- Add fat-free cream of mushroom to the pot, stirring to combine ingredients. Add cooked green beans and stir until they are coated with mixture.
- Spread the mixture in an 8×8 casserole dish. Sprinkle with fried onions. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool before serving.
- 4 triangles Laughing Cow Cheese®, any flavor
- 16 oz cauliflower, chopped tip: buy fresh bag of chopped cauliflower
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- Steam cauliflower per package instructions or place cut cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl with 1 inch water and microwave 6-7 minutes or until very soft when pierced with a fork.
- Drain cauliflower and return to bowl. Add all remaining ingredients.
- Cream all the ingredients together using a hand blender (or transfer all the ingredients to a blender). Blend well until consistency becomes smooth.
Low-Carb Egg Nog
- 1 egg
- 4 packets natural no calorie sweetener
- 1 tsp sugar free vanilla syrup found in coffee aisle or online1 1/4 cup cold unsweet
- almond milk
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg more if desired
- Place in a small blender (or whatever blender you have) the egg, sweetener, and sugar-free vanilla syrup. Blend on high for 30-60 seconds until thoroughly blended.
- Add cold almond milk and blend for another 30-60 seconds.
- Pour into serving glasses and sprinkle a good amount of nutmeg on top. Enjoy!
Creamy Deviled Eggs
- 8 hard cooked eggs, cut in half
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayo or miracle whip
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- splash pickle juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dash pepper
- dash paprika
- Cut eggs lengthwise and in half. Remove yolks and mash in a bowl. Add dressing, pickle juice, mustard & seasonings. Mix well.
- Spoon (or pipe) mixture evenly into centers of egg whites. Sprinkle a dash of paprika for visual appeal.
Pumpkin Whip (Pro tip-Add some protein powder!)
- 15 oz canned pumpkin puree
- 5 oz 0% fat, plain Greek yogurt
- 1 package sugar free vanilla pudding mix
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 (8 oz) container light whipped topping
- Add all ingredients except the whipped topping to a medium mixing bowl.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir ingredients for a few minutes until well incorporated.
- Fold in whipped topping. Refrigerate until serving. Scoop 1/4 cup pumpkin whip into small ramekin and enjoy.
*All recipes from bariatricfoodcoach.com