Many people are unsure if they are “overweight enough” to be considered a candidate for weight loss surgery. Weight is, of course, a primary qualification; but there are also other factors. At the Nicholson Clinic, here are our qualifications for a LAP-BAND/REALIZE™ band, gastric bypass surgery, or gastric sleeve:
- A body mass index (BMI) of 40 or more (which translates to about 100 pounds overweight for men and 80 pounds overweight for women). OR
- A BMI between 30 and 39.9 with at least one serious obesity-related health issue such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, severe sleep apnea, hypertension, etc.)
The patient should also meet these three conditions:
- Have been classified as obese for at least five years.
- Do not have a history of addiction or severe psychiatric problems.
- Have a thorough understanding of the weight loss surgery you have chosen and the lifestyle changes that are necessary for it be successful.