Weight loss surgery means a change in your lifestyle, including your diet. Once your doctor has cleared you to start eating solid foods, you’ll have some changes to make in the kinds of foods you eat to help keep you on track on your weight loss journey.
The best foods to eat following weight loss surgery are high in protein and low in fat and sugar. The Nicholson Clinic is devoted to helping our patients develop a healthy lifestyle post surgery.
The secret to this recipe is a Screaming Hot Preheated Oven…otherwise your chicken crust will steam and there will be lots of liquid and not a lot of browning.
• 1 lbs ground (raw) chicken breast – about 3 small boneless breasts, chopped in food processor
• 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
• 1 cup freshly shredded part skim mozzarella
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Dried oregano
• 1/2 cup prepared pasta sauce
• Crushed red pepper flakes
• 4 or 5 basil leaves, rolled and sliced
• Toppings – let’s not go crazy with fat – use very lean pepperoni in paper thin slices and other low-fat options
1. Preheat oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet or pizza pan with parchment paper or foil sprayed with non-stick vegetable cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl combine the ground chicken with ¼ cup parmesan, ¼ cup mozzarella, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ½ teaspoon garlic powder and ½ teaspoon oregano.
3. Mound the chicken mixture onto the parchment and pat into flat rectangle or disc. Cover with plastic wrap and evenly press or roll the chicken into a 7×10″ rectangle or round. I use a rolling pin! Remove the plastic wrap and roast until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
4. Smear crust with sauce, scatter with ¼ cup Parmesan, ¾ cup mozzarella, layer with toppings and season with a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes and ¼ teaspoon oregano.
5. Pop back into hot oven and cook until melted and bubbly 6 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and scatter with chopped basil.