How Do You Choose The Best Weight Loss Surgeon In Texas?
Have you decided to have weight loss surgery in Texas? The choice of a weight loss surgeon is an essential factor for successful weight loss. It’s vital to choose an experienced surgeon and someone you feel comfortable with before, during and after surgery. In this article, we’ve briefly discussed how you can choose the best weight loss surgeon and location for your weight loss procedure.
Choosing The Best Weight Loss Surgeon In Texas
Here are some questions you should address before making your final decision for a weight loss surgeon:
- Is the surgeon board-certified in general surgery?
- Is he/she an active member or fellow of bariatric surgeon organizations, such as the American College of Surgeons (FACS), American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS), and the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)?
- Does the surgeon have experience in a multitude of minimally invasive bariatric and abdominal procedures?
- Does the surgeon teach or actively participate in continuing education concerning weight loss surgery?
- Does the surgeon have credentials at hospitals and surgery centers with the highest standards for bariatric surgery, facilities with accreditations through the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP)?
- Has the surgeon been recognized by professional organizations, peers and patients for excellence in health care?
- Does the surgeon understand your lifestyle and needs?
- Were you comfortable asking questions?
- Will the surgeon provide ongoing comprehensive support after the weight loss surgery?
- Does the surgeon offer regular support groups?
- Have you seen testimonials or results from previous patients?
If you get a resounding yes to all questions above, you are on your way to selecting the best surgeon for your weight loss surgery. However, since weight loss surgery is not a one-size-fits-all solution, your surgeon should understand your lifestyle and needs before recommending a procedure.
Choosing The Best Bariatric Surgical Center
Is the bariatric surgeon and hospital accredited? As mentioned above, the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP®) is an important factor to consider. The MBSAQIP® works to advance safe, high-quality care for bariatric surgical patients through the accreditation of bariatric surgical centers. A bariatric surgical center achieves accreditation following a rigorous review process during which it proves that it can maintain certain physical resources, human resources, and standards of practice. This is also important for insurance purposes as many insurance companies require surgery at an accredited facility. Insurance companies, such as Blue Cross Blue Shield may also award distinctions to the best hospitals in their network, such as the Blue Distinction designation.
Choosing the best weight loss surgeon is as vital as the surgery itself. So, never underestimate the importance of picking a location with experienced and trained surgeons who have a long history of excellence and safe, effective outcomes.
One of the most experienced weight loss surgeons in the country – Dr. Nick Nicholson – along with a full staff of surgeons, physician assistants, and other experienced clinicians, help patients reverse obesity with LAP-BAND, Gastric Bypass, Sleeve Gastrectomy, Gastric Balloon and Revisions.